Saturday, October 6, 2007

I'm baaaack!

I've decided on the spur of the moment to start posting again (we'll see how long this goes on) and also to see how long it takes before someone realizes that I've posted again. Anyway, my life is pretty uneventful...actually not really. In school: I have a huge Biology lab due Monday which seems to take forever to do, and I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing (and our teacher won't help us because she says we're supposed to do it all by ourselves...even when we are clueless). In English I'm analyzing poetry (shoot me) and for Monday I have to be prepared to give our first oral commentaries on a poem, and re-color mark a blank copy for Monday, although I'll probably just use my old one since I really don't have anything else to add. Luckily, I think we're just presenting to each other in small groups, so I don't think I can really go wrong anywhere.

The play: this year we're doing "Enter Laughing", obviously a comedy, about a kid who wants to be an actor but is really bad at it; I play his girlfriend--needless to say, the kid who is my "boyfriend" is the kid I did a duo with last year and really had a kind of stressful relationship with over the last semester of last year. It's a bit awkward, but hopefully the play will be worth it (it's really funny). I'm supposed to memorize some more over the weekend, but i forgot my script at school, so....that might not happen until Monday. Anyway, it's going pretty well so far, and rehearsals haven't been too bad, but now I'm getting to where I don't really have any free nights; however, the good news is, it's only a month of it...the bad news....it's only a month.

Today's my sister Mary Beth's birthday....so, happy birthday, Mary Beth, if you ever read this! I probably won't write any cool post like Rachael does, cause I'm not as amazing as that, but I am very grateful to have a sister like Mary Beth...as Rachael says, between the two of us and Dad, we maintain the sanity level. I do love sneaking down to her dungeon bedroom at midnight when she visits to talk about her amazing book (that needs to be finished soon) and to plot the next heart-wrenching bits of the climax. I've gotten in trouble quite a few times for not leaving the cold, food-storage bedroom and going to bed. Sometimes I just go down there for no reason---I push the door open, walk nonchalantly over to the bookcase and pretend to search for a good book to read--she says, "Yes? Did you want something?"--I kind of sigh, turn and sit on her bed, and say, "No, not really" and then peer around at her laptop screen. This then usually turns into some discussion of Wings and then, in one case, curling up at the bottom of her twin bed and falling asleep with her knees in my back while she writes on her computer--this then turns into her getting sleepy and lying down too and pulling a blanket over the two of us....I slowly inch up to get part of the pillow and fall back asleep hanging halfway off the bed. We slept like this for about four hours, then got up to realize that our grandparents were over for dinner and probably go be friendly.

I always thought Mary Beth was so cool; she knew everything about medieval stuff and she even had clay dragons she had made, a tunic, and her own made up language (in which she used to post signs on her door and resolutely refuse to tell me what they meant). Mary Beth was the sister that I would go to and listen to her talk about her stories and the worlds that she created and just wish that I could write as well as her and have her amazing imagination. We made up games when we played in the snow--once we built a snow igloo out of a huge pile of snow at the end of our driveway, another time we made up our own tiny-three men army patrol (Mary Beth was captain, I was lieutenant, and Rosalind was private---we convinced her that it was a very prestigious rank on its own). I've always been sort of in awe of Mary Beth and her intelligence and her ability to create something out of nothing--and I've always felt very special to be privy to every single detail of her plottings on Wings.

So, I guess that's a pretty good sized post for you, MerBith--have a great birthday and keep writing!!!

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Welcome back--and you wrote this last weekend when you were supposed to be doing your biology lab? Shame, shame.

But I love you anyway, even if it's you and Mary Beth and Dad that keeps things sane--it's the rest of us that keep it interesting!

Elise said...

well, without my "Elise" moments, the house would be a lot more boring!

Mary Beth said...

Oh my gosh, how did I not know this was here? 18 days--I'm so sorry! (I would check more often if you would update more!)

I'm so glad to have a sister like you who's interested in my work and in spending time with me. Those late nights and sleepy afternoons in my dungeon with you were my favorite parts of this summer. Thanks for being such an incredible kid.

Love you, babe. And good luck with the play!

Rachael said...

eeeliiiiiisssssseeeee

hi. you are my friend.

cause you're so really really ridicuously good-looking.