Sunday, March 4, 2007

I really hate thinking of a title to put here

I think the title thing is stupid, cause I can never think of anything to put there. Anyway, the musical is over, and we're right into forensics. We had our first tournament on Saturday; I went along, but I didn't compete. I was supposed to go watch duo final (cause I'm doing a duo this year, and I wanted to see what the competition was) but I also really, really, really wanted to see multiple (cause Northern's doing Les Mis, and I heard it was amazing)--so I went to the multiple final instead. Keep in mind that Northern's multiple last year was really good...even though it was a Disney movie (The Prince of Egypt), so I was really excited to see this years. And the final?? It was...HORRIBLE!!!!! It would have been so much better!!!! if they'd sung the whole thing!! They started out singing, and it was a really cool beginning, and then a guy turned around, and said, "Bring me prisoner 24601!" and then Javert and Valjean proceeded to speak most of their duet!!! It was astonishingly painful!! They'd speak a scene, and then jump wildly to another scene so someone could sing their characters' little solo, and then they'd speak the rest of it!!! ARGGHHHH! It made me really mad that I didn't go see duo. There was another multiple that was about this kid that had hemophelia, and then he gets AIDS and is dying for about half of it...and we just wondered when he would die so the piece would be over! Then the last one was Jekyll and Hyde...it was ok....( I thought it was better than the boy one, but it score as well in finals as the other, which was weird). It was kind of funy when Lucy died, however, cause she fell off a block, and then her skirt flew halfway up, and you just kind of hoped it wouldn't go all the way up! All the dying in the round generally went badly (Javert's especially). It was just so painful!!! It really made me want to do multiple again, but our multiple directer from last year just had a baby, so she's not doing it this year...therefore, I'm competing in duo!

My favorite thing about forensics is hanging out with the people--granted, it's kind of hard to have fun with people when you've all gotten up at 5:00 in the morning, and you're dead on the bus on the way there...and sprawled out unconscious on the floor between rounds...and on the bus back...and after you've stuffed yourselves full with so much McDo's that you think you're going to literally explode...and then you do it all over again the next weekend...not to mention the aggravating stress that you're feeling pretty much the whole day. My goal this year is to make it to States, even if we don't do that well, cause I love just being with people at states (probably the night at the hotel is my favorite...despite chaprones advising everyone to go to bed at 9:00 because of the rest of the tournament the next day at 7:00...it's kind of funny, cause the tournament where everyone would probably need the most stamina is after the night when everyone gets the least amount of sleep...but it's so much fun!!!!)

What bothers me is that i never, ever get to sleep in...get up at 5:00 in the morning, go to bed late, don't sleep much, then get up at 5:00 on Saturdays, the designated time for sleeping in, and then get up 7:30 on Sundays, especially after you've been wishing for a snowday from church, not felt quite right about praying for one, dream that your mom tells you that church is cancelled, and then get woken up 5 minutes later by a merciless parent telling you that it's time to get up for church. Of course, it is always very possible to kneel in bed with your face stuffed in your pillow to say your morning prayer, and then it's not quite your fault if you somehow fall asleep while praying.

Anyway, I can't wait for summer, cause then I might actually have a life. I have two kind of part-time jobs now...I teach violin lessons to a little girl from our church (and i'm supposed to start up now with a lady from the second ward...and i'm glad to have another student, i just think it will be kind of weird teaching an adult...and i'll talk to my orchestra teacher and hopefully get more students over the summer from the elementary orchestras). I also am going to start driving a little girl from our neighborhood to her kids' gym twice a week (which is less work and will pay better than a 1/2 hour violin lesson), so i'll be able to make more off of that...but i'd really like to get more students over the summer.

No comments: