Sunday, June 22, 2008

New Laptop!

I got my new laptop on Wednesday night and I'm lovin' it! It is an HP Pavilion (which I can never seem to manage to say) and it is simply beautiful!! I'm very proud of myself, because I'd been reading the sale ads from Office Depot for several weeks and I was excited to find a good deal for this one! Besides a $200 rebate, I also got a free HP printer that will fit nicely on my shelf in my dorm. The only thing was, the day after I got my computer, I had to leave for the weekend to Youth Conference! But the experience made up for the painful separation from my new love.

So this year for Youth Conference, the seniors that had just graduated were invited to be in a Youth Committee specifically for Youth Conference. We'd been planning for months and months and we were soooo excited to do this (at least I was). I think it was a really great experience for all of us to be able to share our experiences and knowledge with the younger youth. My favorite part was probably working with the 14 year olds and seeing how they were amazed by all the new things. We had a bunch of fun and I'm really glad that we were able to go this last year and make this is experience fun for the younger kids. Also, the added power was great! The conference was held at the Battle Creek church and there was an excellent Mother's Lounge that was our typical hang out spot! Three comfy rockers with another office-like chair and plenty of room for us all to just relax! (which was needed because at some point each of us felt like our body was literally falling apart) We were staying at members' homes with our units, but the youth committee was allowed to stay together (boys with boys and girls with girls of course) and that was really, really fun because we hadn't been able to stay together for a while at Girls' Camp and such because of YCLs. We also went and got food several times after we left the church instead of heading straight to the members' homes like the little kiddies had to. We basically had a great time together, and it was really wonderful for the youth to have older youth making stuff exciting for them.

We're also planning a trip for Cedar Point in a few weeks with a bunch of kids from the youth committee, and I'm WAY excited for that. But before then, Mom and Dad have lots of things for me to do (first of all, I need to clean up the horror of my room), such as re-doing the driveway, paint some walls, work on the wood in the house, etc. But I'm happy to do it as long as I'm earning money! Anyway, there is a wonderful thunderstorm going on outside right now, which means that I should have gotten in the shower a half hour ago, since we have to leave for church in less than an hour and I'm still in bed.

I'm so excited to see everyone this week, and I'm hoping that Rosalind has a really great time in
Utah and Idaho and am thinking that it will be a loooooong drive out there in a few weeks alone without her (although I will have my new computer, which makes things slightly better:)

But I am going to try to post things on here more often since it is always a perk to use my laptop!

1 comment:

Rachael said...

how cool that you had a YC committee! that's a great way to involve the older kids and make it really meaningful for you, because you can see the difference you're making for the littles. check out byusa--that's what it's all about there. love it. actually, if you can, think about doing the residence halls association council--I LOVED it. i'll talk to you about it this weekend.