Saturday night, feeling a little angsty, I ran to the temple. Well, since it's uphill two miles, I ran/walked most of the way. Then I sat at the temple for about 45 minutes until I was freezing and then decided to run home. Crossing the street at the MTC I ran into one of my favorite people at EFY this summer--Erin, one of our health counselors. I talked to her for a little bit, and what she said made me feel a lot better! (although, being alone at the back side of the temple did most of the work). Anyway, I decided that since it was downhill, I would see how far I could go.
I ran the whole way home!! So awesome. I was sort of shaking by the time I got home, but it was really good for me--I've never ran that far before! I was always more of a sprinter and less long distance, but I just told myself I had made a goal to run home and I WOULD. Also, I figured it sounded much more impressive to tell my roommates I ran the WHOLE way home rather than "most" of the way.
Yesterday, I signed up for a gym membership--it's month to month and not very expensive, but since I paid for it, I'm definitely going to go a lot. Kailey and I are workout buddies now. We went to the gym yesterday and biked for just a half hour, but it was still pretty exhausting (especially when the bike seats are UNCOMFORTABLE!! For a little bit, I was like, "Wow, I really can't go any further" but I just told myself, "Just go five minutes past that feeling". After the five minutes, the deathly feeling was gone, I was just tired but could keep going.
Also, just a little something. I hardly ever sweat. Like, sweat rolling down my face sweat. It's a gift, I know, but last night (probably also because we were indoors), man, did I sweat!! It was a great feeling until we stepped outside and it immediately all froze on my back! I spent the car ride home sitting stick straight upwards.
A couple of my roommates are doing this "No Sugar" thing. I was talking to Kailey about it yesterday, and we talked about how that really is pretty ineffective as a weight loss plan. You go off sugar for a bit, lose some weight, then start eating sugar again and just put it back on. I like to eat healthily, but I also like to eat what I want. So, I've always preferred exercising to dieting. As a permanent, life-style change, exercise can have much more long-lasting effects and I know that it also really affects you emotionally and mentally. When I exercise, not only do I feel better physically and less desire to eat junk food, I can release any stress or anger I'm feeling in a pretty cathartic way, my mind functions much more clearly in other things that I do, and I sleep better at night when I exercise.
Also, I saw one of my "No Sugar" roommates eating a candy bar today. Yes, I saw you >:) I was always pretty happy with my physicality and weight when I played soccer because not only was I exercising in a way that I enjoyed, but my mom was feeding me healthy things :) It's a lot harder to get those kinds of meals now, but I know that constant exercise is a good head start. I'm pretty excited for this gym membership, I just hope that I can make the most out of it in the gym and out.
Oh, and for those of who with whom I spoke about my song on Sunday (I sang "Oh Lord, My Redeemer" at a musical fireside for our ward---I was pretty worried about being really nervous and not being able to sing). It was amazing!! It was the first time in my life that I wasn't that nervous while performing. When I went up I felt a few butterflies, but as soon as I started singing it went away. It was such an amazing experience, I felt like I could truly express myself and my feelings without worrying about how nervous I was. I even thought I was going to make it through the whole song without crying! False. I cried in the last chorus. But still. It was great. A lot of people came up to me and talked to me about it and it just felt soooo good to be able to share my talent in a way that brings people closer to Heavenly Father. It felt SO good to REALLY sing, as well. I hadn't done that for a really long time, and it was also kind of fun to really surprise a lot of my friends.
Anyway, thank you for your prayers, they were answered. It was a great experience and I'm hoping that the butterflies are gone for good.
Back....to homework. Writing a little information paper about "The Call" in relation to Toni Morrison's "Paradise", and Shakespeare today is "Romeo and Juliet". Should be interesting to hear my professor's thoughts on this, today, he always refers to Romeo and Juliet rather snidely. Then institute tonight, and then I'll finally be able to drop in at home at about 8:30 before more plans of a more social nature.
Also, I grabbed a bunch of snacks to put in my backpack this morning before I left for work. I was hoping they would last me a lot longer. I'm one cheesestick, and half my supplies of beef jerky and wheat thins down. It's okay though, I still have one apple, one banana, a cheesestick, and the rest of the wheat thins and jerky to hold me until 8:30.
I'll probably make it.
Fairy Pools, Loch Ness, Drumnadrochit
3 months ago
4 comments:
I'm so excited to have you posting a lot lately! Thanks for sharing your life with us.
OK, you know I'm going to have to comment on the exercise/food thing. Here's my take. Exercising regularly benefits your body and mind in every possible way. We were made to move, and we need to do it! It doesn't have to be 1.5 hours on the Stairmaster, but we need to give our bodies and brains the benefit of sustained movement.
As far as food, it's better to concentrate on the good things you're eating than on the bad things you're avoiding. Adding in fruit, vegetables, and whole grains will do much more than taking out cookies. It's all about the good stuff.
And I'm so glad your song went well. I've found that when I consecrate what I'm doing to the Lord, it really does go well and I'm focused on His message, not what people think of my talent.
Love you, sweetheart! Glad you have an apple and banana left. Does your stake give you dinner after institute?
Also--before I bought a jell seat for the gym, I used to throw a towel over the bike seat as padding. Not too cool, but I can get away with that kind of stuff.
well, I think the huge complete works of Shakespeare on the front of my bike kind of ruined any cool factor i had going ;)
You are adorable. Love, Aunt Pam
Post a Comment