Sunday, February 8, 2009

So this weekend has been pretty fun. Here is how it went.

Friday: Harriet, Lauren and I borrowed our FHE brother's car and went to the temple after classes. It was nasty and raining outside, so I was glad that we had a car. We spent a really, really, really long time waiting and finally were able to do some work. But it was especially nice just to sit in the temple and watch. There were some interesting experiences: there was one guy a little bit ahead of us that was an interesting person--when he stood up to go to the font, he started to follow a few girls into the girls' dressing room, before realizing at the last minute what he was doing and quickly changing directions (all of us in the front row had really hard time not laughing out loud, especially when the elderly temple worker said to the boys ahead of us "Okay, go ahead--THAT WAY" and pointed towards the guys' room.) Then, the same guy, when he was baptizing a girl instead of gently bringing his right hand back up, he would sharply snap it back into place so strictly that it would bounce a little bit from side to side every time. And THEN, when he was getting out of the font, he stood at the top and shook each foot over the font, just like a duck!! It was so hard not to laugh.....

But then there were some other really spiritual moments as well. The "chapel" where we waited while we watched people get baptized was playing really quiet hymns on an organ, and it felt so quiet and peaceful (until the ward of youth came in). You couldn't hear what was going on in the room with the font (you could just see through the glass) but you could see everything that was happening, and it seemed so peaceful. And then, the best part of the trip, was when a mentally and physically handicapped lady went up to do baptisms. I think she went often, because they all knew her name and were taking special care of her. She shuffled very slowly and went very carefully down the steps into the font. A tall, rather broad youngish man stepped in too and, with the shorter, white-haired older man that was baptizing, gently lowered her down every time into the water. It was just really, really beautiful to see the time and care that these very different men were taking. I was trying not to cry and I heard Harriet sniff and I looked across Lauren and Harriet was crying--we were talking about it in the car ride home and Lauren was like, "When was this? I think I was reading...." and we were like, "How did you miss that!"

So then we came back and then threw a surprise leaving party for our roommate Krista (if you don't know the details, ask someone else in the family, they might know--I've told it way too many times). After she left, Harriet, Scott, Lauren and I went to the "Knight Games"/medieval fest/nerd party. The best part was looking at everyone that had dressed up and just shaking our heads in wonder. BYU has some weird people. So then we came back at about midnight and there was a dance party in our basement with people from our ward. I was really tired so I wanted to go to bed and I was about to get ready for bed when Harriet came up and asked me in a very pitiful voice to come dance with her, and so I went for about an hour and we had lots and lots of fun. Then I went to sleep.

Saturday: We slept in and accidently missed the rugby game we promised we attend. But the sleep was glorious. Then I mailed some letters and felt very proud of myself. Then we came home and sort of puttered around for a bit until I got bored and called Ruth to see if they were doing anything fun. She was at the store with Kristina, so I ran to her house and talked to Jordan a little bit before Ruth and Kristina came back and we watched the movie Persuasion. It was pretty good, a little weird, with a very awkward kiss and ill-matched lovers. But it was entertaining. So then we talked for a bit afterwards, and then I came home, talked to Harriet for a little bit, and then went to bed.

Sunday: I got up, had a hot shower (a very precious commodity) and got to church on time. It was cold. Then I stayed awake all through church and even made it through Ward Council and most of Hall Meeting (I managed to sneak out during a moment of commotion). Then I started to try to take a nap, and then realized that it would be fruitless to fall asleep when I had to start the rolls soon--and then maybe I'd go to sleep early tonight. So I made rolls, talked to both Rachael and Mom (HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!!) and then went to Ruth's for a wonderful pot roast dinner. Ruth did the potroast and accessories, and I had the rolls, and Mary Beth brought these yummy cookie bar things (and they had really good orange juice). So we had a nice dinner, talked (Jordan is still kind of sick) and watched some amazing chocolate sculpting. Then I came home and now I am sitting in Lauren's room waiting for ward prayer in an hour. After ward prayer, I have this rehearsal meeting thing cause our stake is putting on this big music program and I have a reading part in it (that, come to think of it, I need to go learn). Then, after that, I'm going to Carly-from-downstair's apartment to make cupcakes. It will be fun, and hopefully I will get to bed on time, because I am very tired. It all depends on the noise level in the lobby and the kitchen next door on whether that will happen. So that was my weekend.

2 comments:

Rachael said...

this post made me remember why I always felt tired freshman year...love you! so nice to talk with you yesterday.

Meghan said...

Sounds very fun. Thanks for sharing lots of details. Friday night seemed to go on a very long time.