I really wish that I had my camera cord and could update pictures when I talk about stuff! This morning I woke up around 9 after a kind of restless sleep and a really fun night and we made a delicious breakfast, then went out in the car to see if we could find any buffalo. No luck. So we took the horses (actually, one horse and two mules) out to see if we could find them. We saw one kind of far away, but didn't see any others--but we had a fun ride, even if our trusty steeds were fat and lazy. And now I've ridden a mule! Soooooo fat....I thought my legs were going to pop off at my hips when I first sat down on him....oh man, that hurt so bad! But it was a good thing that I didn't know how to open any of the fences/gates--Naomi and Isaiah had to keep hopping on and off and it looked/sounded pretty painful. So, it was really cold until like, the last half hour of the ride when the sun came out about noon--
Oh, and although we hardly saw any buffalo, we did see three bull moose with huge antlers!! We couldn't get close enough to get a good picture though because one of our fat, lazy animals made a noise or something, so they ran away before we could get close. (They look funny when they run). It was really fun, cause the ride was over lots of little hills and stuff--it was interesting to see the different ways that the horse and the mules approached it. The horse would just kind of stumble over stuff, or if it hesitated, it would just stand still and have to be kicked over it. But the mules, if we were about to cross a ditch, or a log, the mule would look way down at it for a second, and then proceed carefully---it was cool to see the different advantages of the mules, although they are very stubborn, and fat.
So, we went back to the ranch house, ate some ice cream, watched part of the movie Canadian Bacon (the President of the United States and his counselors decide to make a Cold War with Canada to boost his polls...but some Americans think its a real war...pretty funny) Then we packed up and headed out and on our way out saw a buffalo, so Naomi and I got out to take some pictures....just as we were getting back in the car, a fish and wildlife officer and a sheriff came over the hill and turned their lights on---we were pretty excited, cause Naomi said they probably thought we were hunters, but they owned the land, so we knew we weren't doing anything wrong! So we talked them for a little bit and I heard my first stereotypical Canadian accent! It was pretty fun. Naomi and Isaiah were pretty excited (Isaiah cause he got pulled over and Naomi cause just as we were leaving these hunters came over the ridge and got pulled over!) I guess they have a lot of problems with poaching on their land, cause their land is between the road and a big hunting area behind them (forget what it's called) but you woudl have to trespass on their land to get across it--so Naomi was really excited that they were catching hunters. Oh, and the one relatively close up picture of a buffalo that I have.....is a bull pooping (but it was HUGE!)
So, we're leaving tomorrow about 5 I think (unlikely, in my opinion---we probably won't leave till 6--her family is rather slow....) and then driving back to Provo. In a way I'm looking forward to getting back and settled, but I don't want this break to end! It's been so beautiful and relaxing here and I just love being in the country and having lots and lots of land to roam over and do whatever we want! I guess I will just have to marry a cowboy someday....
Fairy Pools, Loch Ness, Drumnadrochit
3 months ago
2 comments:
It's so fun to read all about your trip (even if you never respond to my comments, only Rachael's). I'm glad you've had a great time. I'll try calling you later this afternoon when you might be near civilization. We're supposed to get a ton of snow today and tomorrow, but hopefully the roads will be clear by afternoon for Rachael and fam to get home.
Love you, sweetheart.
i love you too, Mom! thanks for commenting all the time!
Post a Comment