Thursday, November 27, 2008

Today was lots of fun. Naomi and I slept in without an alarm, then had a nice slow morning. Then around noon, Naomi, her little sister Rebekah, and I went to Kananaskis Provincial Park and went and ate lunch by Forgetmenot Pond. It was so incredibly beautiful! It reminded me a lot of the U.P., except with lots of rolling hills and mountains. But there are aspens and fir trees everywhere and civilization is very....sparce. (Except if you drive about half an hour to Calgary) But their "town" is called Bragg Creek...I don't even think it can be categorized as a village...well, I guess it takes up lots of land, but the actual town part is basically like tiny little plaza about the size of the little part of the Qudoba/Coldstone one in Portage. For real.

So we went to the pond and put some blankets down on the rock and huddled together because it was very cold and ate the "Decker Family Vacation Special" except the meat was buffalo salami. It was different, but pretty good. And the bread was a little stale, and Naomi and Rebekah both ate about a fourth of their sandwiches, but I was so used to it because of our family meals that I had no problem with mine!! Haha, it made me happy. They think they're so tough....

So that was a gorgeous drive (and we took lots of pictures and a pretty good video of us throwing rocks out on the frozen pond and trying to break the ice--we weren't very successful). It was weird though, because the ice was very transparent. We walked out a little bit on it, and it it felt solid if you weren't looking at it, but if you looked down, it looked like we were standing a few feet in the air above rocks. It was weird.

Then we came home and got ready to go have make dinner at their great-aunt's house. (Oh, by the way, it started to get dark about 4:00). It was very good and fun, their aunt was very funny. We got back a little while ago, and tomorrow, Naomi says we're going to Bamff National Park, which is more famous, supposedly the "heart" of this area of Canada, and even more pretty then where we were today. So I'll take more pictures tomorrow (we haven't uploaded the pictures from today yet). But I'm having lots of fun, this area is so beautiful, and I would love to come here for vacation sometime in the future!!!! (hint, hint!) The family would love it!

But with everything I'm doing, I still have homework--we have to read Cry, The Beloved Country over break and do a lot of our grammar work that we've kind of fallen behind in (we just have to do it by the end of the semester). But I've heard that that book is kind of hard to get into, but so far I haven't found it that bad. Anyway, off to bed!

3 comments:

sarah said...

you're in for a treat with Banff...take LOTS of pictures!

Rachael said...

i just wrote the longest comment ever...and it deleted. short version: mom says don't walk on ice. Dad says he used to shoot it to see how deep it was. Neil wonders if ice cracks like it does in the movies; Mom thinks it wouldn't, Dad wants to go to Lake Michigan to see the ice mazes, Rosalind is drinking wassail and she just knocked over her cup, and I miss you.

Elise said...

apparently, both Naomi and Rebekah heard the ice cracking, but I didn't hear it! (it wasn't super, super thick, so it wasn't the huge, humongous cracks) but yesterday at Banff we saw people ice skating on a lake!